Page Thus Turned

A Chapter Beings Anew

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The LIST for Sept. 20

I hope you're ready, cause this is a big one.

The Newsarama post can be found here.

Dark Horse Comics

Conan #32
Wild Cimmerian Bull

This comic is one of those automatic buys for me. This isn't the Conan from the movie, this is Conan as he is meant to be. This particular story is another one showcasing moments in his childhood, which happen to be some of my favorite issues.

Conan & The Songs of the Dead #3 (of 5)

Two Conan comics in one week? Color me happy. This is somehow even more brutal than the main series so far. Timothy Truman draws a great Conan. Have yet to read #2, but I'm slowly catching up.

DC Comics
Hellblazer #224
The Red Right hand, Part 1

As much as I hate religion, I LOVE some of the stories that stem from it. Hellblazer is one of those stories. This is only my second issue, but I've been wanting to get into the series since I started reading comics. Last issue was a standalone one dealing with the spirit and guardian of London goin nuts. Really mystical and out there.... Right up my alley.

Shadowpact #5


My love of obscure superheroes seems to be growing by the minute. With a magical based super team with members like Blue Devil, Ragman, and Detective Chimp, how could I resist? This title actually got close to being cut, but it has redeemed itself in the last few issues.

Superman #656

Superman versus Subjekt 17. Should be a good one. I just recently started getting Superman, and I have yet to regret it. Having a great creative team on the book helps quite a bit. I tend to jump between character loyalty and creator loyatly, but this book has a healthy mix of both. The art is fantastic.

Testament #10
Down to Egypt, Part 3

Another one of the series that deal with religion. This one is really deep, if churches got their hands on it I'm sure it would go straight to the top of their most hated list. The storytelling is phenominal in how he parallels the events in the bible to those that happen in a future that is very possible. Douglas Rushkoff (the writer) cites this as the new bible.... I don't see that, but he certainly does reveal some of the dirty secrets that the churchs don't like to acknowledge. Most importantly, it's a damn good story.

Wetworks #1

The relaunch of the Wildstorm Universe begins here. I jumped on for most of the relaunch titles, since most of it sounded good. Should be interesting which ones stay for long. This is one of those I'm really curious about.

Marvel Comics

Civil War #4 (of 7)

YAY! Thor is back! Thor is easily my favorite marvel superhero, and probably my favorite hero overall. Civil War was good, but with the addition of Thor, it just got great. Unfortunately Civil War hit some huge delays, so this will be the last one til December I think. Poo.

Civil War: X-Men #3 (of 4)

One of the MANY crossover titles for Civil War. My interest for this one has suffered a brutal death. Last issue for me.

Moon Knight #5

Wow, what a dark superhero. The art in this book is just amazing, and the story is intriguing. Oh, and this book is VIOLENT......good stuff.

Nextwave #8

One of the best comics going. This book is just off the wall fun. Time to face the MINDLESS ONES!!!!! Also bad guys made of broccoli.

X-Factor #11

One of the few comics I can actually remember loving as a child. The new series has not disappointed. Not so much superhero slugfest after slugfest, and more investigative storytelling. In the last issue, one of my favorite characters, Strong Guy, appears to go rogue and kills a key witness. Why, Guido, why?

Thoughts

Whew. That's what I call a week of comics. I'm going to really have to keep my comments shorter to prevent these posts from taking my whole day. I gotta have some time to play Phantom Brave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home